Thanatos......an illustrious name that has been haunting the Underground Metal scene since 1984... After several demo tapes and line-up changes, Thanatos released two classic Thrash/Death Metal albums in the early 1990's:
'Emerging From The Netherworlds' (Shark Records/Cargo 1990) and 'Realm Of Ecstasy' Shark Records/Cargo 1992). The band shared the stage with the likes of Kreator, Sepultura, Death, Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Autopsy and Death Angel to name but a few.
In 1992 Thanatos split up due to a variety of reasons but was revived in 1999 by founding member Stephan Gebédi, featuring a new line-up that included members from Sinister, Houwitser and Cremation.
The third Thanatos album, 'Angelic Encounters', was released in 2000 by Hammerheart Records, followed by more shows with bands like Morbid Angel, Vader, Dying Fetus, Exhumed, Cryptopsy, Krisiun, Destruction and Necrophagia. Despite great reviews the band was not totally satisfied with this album. Two more personnel changes followed.
In 2002 the band recorded four new songs and two covers in a small 8-track studio to attract some interest from record companies. Baphomet Records/Red Stream released these recordings as the 'Beyond Terror' Mini CD.
Thanatos signed a recording deal with Greek label Black Lotus Records in 2003, resulting in the release of 'Undead.Unholy.Divine.' the next year. While recording their fifth full-length ‘Justified Genocide’ the band was informed of Black Lotus Records’ bankruptcy and the album was put on hold.
In 2009, a quarter of a century after the band's first incarnation, ‘Justified Genocide' finally will be released by a partner closer to home. The quartet signed a deal with Holland based Deity Down Records. 'Justified Genocide’ features the band's strongest songs so far. Their typical mix of old school thrash and death metal still stands tall and these are the band's most raw and in your face sounding recordings ever. 'Justified Genocide' was recorded at Excess Studio in Rotterdam, Netherlands and mixed and mastered by Dan Swanö (Edge Of Sanity, Bloodbath, Moontower) at Unisound Studio in Sweden.
Justified Genocide Selling Points:
• 5th Full-length by one of Europe's absolute Cult acts in the Metal field.
• Thanatos’ 25th anniversary celebration mark.
• Recorded at Excess Studios, Rotterdam, Holland (Sinister, Houwitser, Elegy, Severe Torture, Hail of Bullets).
• Mixed by Dan Swanö (Hail of Bullets, Moontower, Bloodbath, Edge Of Sanity).
Stephan Gebédi (Hail of Bullets): Guitars/Vocals
Paul Baayens (Hail of Bullets, Asphyx): Guitars
Marco de Bruin: Bass
• Emerging From The Netherworlds (Shark/Cargo 1990, re-released by Hammerheart 1999).
• Realm Of Ecstasy (Shark/Cargo 1992, re-released by Hammerheart 2000).
• Angelic Encounters (Hammerheart 2000, Hammerheart America 2001).
• Beyond Terror (MCD) (Baphomet/Red Stream 2002).
• Undead.Unholy.Divine. (Black Lotus Records 2004).
• …And Jesus Wept (7 Inch EP) (Konqueror Records 2006).
• Boxed Set (Area Death Productions 2007).
• Justified Genocide (Deity Down Records 2009, Mar 16 EU/World, April 06 UK/Eire, April 8 Germany/Austria)
* split single with Asphyx (Cyclone Empire 2011)